Tuesday 8 February 2011

Sweet Honesty

This is from some leaflet I picked up in 2002 from a Quaker Meeting House that I find really helpful when thinking about plain speaking.

Ask yourself:

Are honesty and integrity distinguishing characteristics of your speech?

Am I swift to hear and slow to speak, avoiding long heated debates?

Am I careful to say what I mean, avoiding sarcasm, excessive politeness and self aggrandizement designed to impress people?

Strike “I am starved” from your vocabulary. When you are hungry, say that you are hungry and save starvation for the real thing.  What other ways do you exaggerate in your speaking?

In what ways can you speak more directly?

Interesting to think about.

1 comment:

  1. That is so refreshing. My kids call that being "real". Only problem is, most people are so politically correct that they get offended if you speak plainly. The older that I get, the less that seems to matter. Definately something to think about.

    ReplyDelete