Wednesday 25 March 2020

What We Ate Wednesday--Lentil Dahl with Kale and Toasted Coconut

Hello lovelies! This was a quick and easy meal I made after work a few times but is perfect for quarantine.  I found the recipe HERE and adapted it slightly to what we had.

I picked this recipe because it said to sprinkle toasted coconut on top so when I toasted the coconut for German Chocolate Cake Treats a while back I just toasted a bit extra for the dahl. Total honesty here--I don't think it really added all that much to the dahl so I probably won't bother in the future, but feel free if you have time.

I also cheated by  using Korma curry paste I had in the fridge instead of measuring out five types of spices because I was lazy. I also upped the lentils to 3/4 cup as I wanted more lentil-y goodness. It's all good.


Lentil Dahl with Kale and Toasted Coconut

1 onion, chopped
3-4 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 TB ginger root, finely chopped
1 tsp each ground cumin, ground coriander, chilli flakes, turmeric and garam masala or just use 2 TB curry paste
1/2 to 3/4 cup red lentils, rinsed in a sieve
450 ml vegetable stock
200 ml (half a can) coconut milk
100g (4-5 handfuls) kale
 2 TB toasted coconut for sprinkling (optional) 

1. Cook your onion, garlic and ginger in a splash of water/vegetable stock until softened. Add your spices or curry paste and stir to coat.
2. Add the lentils, stock and coconut milk and bring the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes until lentils are soft and swollen.
3. Add the kale and cook for another few minutes until kale has softened.
4. Top with toasted coconut if you can be bothered.

I served it with Peshwari naan bread (flatbread with almonds, coconut, sugar, cinnamon and raisins) but it would be equally good over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment