Wednesday 29 April 2020

What We Ate Wednesday--PB & J Smoothie

Hello lovelies! Last week was something decadent (mmmm Samoas!) but this week something healthier.

I do love a smoothie. They are great for me to bring to work as they fill me up and help me to make it through a 6 hour shift on my feet. I can stow it under the counter and drink between customers.

But obviously, we are not at work now due to the COVID-19.

*shakes fist at Coronavirus*

My preferred smoothie is Salted Caramel. My boss thinks it look like gravy or curry sauce, but it tastes amazing. However, it requires bananas.

Bananas have been a bit tricky to get. A few weeks ago it was announced that you couldn't get more than 4 items and some cashiers were thinking that meant no more than 4 of anything, not just things like toilet paper or hand sanitiser. But once that was cleared up and people were indeed allowed to buy more than 4 bananas they bought them all. Then they restocked and all the bananas were as green as envy and took weeks to yellow up and go spotty and get frozen.

So I had to improvise.

I bought a bag of Tesco Perfectly Imperfect frozen mixed berries (strawberries, blackberries and raspberries). It is a good deal. You get a kilogram of berries-- some small, some misshapen, the raspberries are all but crumbs for £3.25. They are going in a smoothie so crumbs don't matter. They are not particularly sweet but a couple of dates thrown in fixes that right up.

I wanted to add something more filling and up the protein to balance the sugars from the fruit so I settled on oats and peanut butter.

The fruit is the Jelly part.
The Peanut Butter is the PB part (duh!)
The oats are the "bread" part.
Then I was like--This is a PB & J Smoothie!!!!

And my second favourite smoothie was born


PB & J Smoothie
1 cup non dairy milk (I used soya milk)
1/2 cup water (or additional milk) 
1 heaping cup frozen berries of your choice
a few pitted dates or TB sugar or liquid sweetener (if your berries are tart)
1/4 cup (GF) oats
1-2 TB peanut butter

Blend in a blender until all blended up. Then drink and enjoy. 

This is the view inside my blender. Isn't that pretty? Like a pink flower.

This the view of what is left of my frozen fruit. See the raspberry crumbs? Doesn't matter. They are going to be smooshed in the smoothie. 

All this typing has got me wanting some cool, creamy and fruity...best get to smoothie making! 

No comments:

Post a Comment