Tuesday 14 July 2020

What We Ate Wednesday--Lentil Dahl with Cheatin’ Roast Vegetables

Hello lovelies! Non-essential shops in Wales have reopened and so I am back at work. This means coming home tired and ravenous once again. I am looking for any quick dishes I can make to feed my belly after many hours on my feet.

Spiderman came home from Tesco with these frozen roasted root vegetable oven chips. They have beetroot, carrot and parsnip in a crispy rice flour coating. I was like “I can make a meal out of that.” The bag is 500 grams making it perfect for two meals.

This meal needs little prep—which is great when you are starving and shattered. Would I like to cut up beetroot, carrots and parsnips myself and coat them in GF flour and bake them? Sure. But that would add another 10 minutes of prep time if I was doing it or (let’s be honest here) another hour of prep time if my best beloved was making them.

The only chopping you have to do is one onion and some garlic and that is optional if you are too tired to function. If you choose this option, just start the lentils when the oven chips go in.


Lentil Dahl with Cheatin’ Roast Vegetables

1 red onion, chopped
3-4 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 TB curry paste
 3/4 cup red lentils, rinsed in a sieve
450 ml boiling vegetable stock
1 tin coconut milk (I just used the coconut cream because it was separated)
250g frozen mixed root veg

Preheat your oven to 200C/400F

1. Cook your onion and garlic in a splash of water/vegetable stock until softened. Spread your frozen oven chips in a large roasting tin. When the oven is preheated put your chips in and set timer for 25 minutes.

2. Add curry paste and stir to coat. Add the lentils, boiling stock and coconut milk and bring the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes until lentils are soft and swollen. By this time your oven chips will be done.

3. Serve dahl with roasted veg on top.

 Then collapse in a little heap.

PS Just in case you were wondering, the roasted root oven chips look like this:
image 1 of Strong Roots Root Vegetable Fries 500G

No comments:

Post a Comment