Wednesday 6 January 2021

What We Ate Wednesday--BOSH Katsu Curry Sauce with Roasted Vegetables

Hello lovelies! I checked out the cookbook BOSH! Healthy Vegan from the library before lockdown and I am so glad I did. It was full of delicious recipes, but this one was my favourite. We used to really enjoy a Katsu Curry dish at Wagamama and when I saw this, I knew I wanted to try it right away. It was an easy sauce to make and I made multiples and froze a few for easy nights in the kitchen. They defrost beautifully. Just move them from the freezer to the fridge and let them defrost overnight. 

 Their recipe used roasted aubergine and courgette (eggplant and zucchini to my American peeps) but we don’t really dig those vegetables, so I just subbed in whatever veg we had on hand. The first time it was red onion, sweet potatoes and red pepper, this time it was red onion, carrots and parsnips (because they were leftover from Christmas and needed to be used up ASAP.) It was all good. The sauce is a bit on the runny side, but it tastes gorgeous.
BOSH Katsu Curry with Roasted Vegetables 

Preheat your oven to 200C/400F 
  
1 onion, chopped 
1 large carrot, chopped 
1 large parsnip, chopped 
Half a red pepper, chopped
 1 tin of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
 1 TB oil Fresh ground pepper

Put all these in your big roasting tin and drizzle on the oil and stir to coat. Topped with some black pepper. Roast for 15 minutes, then remove from oven and stir and roast a further 15 minutes. Meanwhile make your sauce:

  BOSH Katsu Curry Sauce
1 onion, sliced
 3 cloves grated garlic 
½ TB oil or a splash of water 
 2 TB curry powder 
1 TB tamari or soy sauce 
2 tsp liquid sweetener like maple syrup/agave/golden syrup 
½ tsp turmeric 
½ tsp garam masala
 160 ml coconut milk (I use these little tins that are 3 for £1 at B&M Bargains) 
1 cup (250 ml) vegetable stock

Cook your onion and garlic in ½ TB oil or a splash of water until softened. Add the curry powder, tamari/soy sauce, liquid sweetener, turmeric and garam masala and stir to coat. Then add the coconut milk and vegetable stock and bubble away for 10 minutes. Transfer to a blender and puree until smooth. Return to the pan to keep warm. 

 When the veg are through roasting, add them to the hot curry sauce and serve over brown rice.

 I actually made my curry sauce earlier in the day and made three servings worth then divided it up and put two in the freezer in sandwich boxes (they stack portions so well!) and put one in the fridge for later that night. Then I just reheated the sauce while the veg was roasting and the rice was cooking. It made it easier than trying to make it while the food was cooking and gave me time to read a chapter of a book while the food cooked.

1 comment: