Sunday 5 February 2012

What's white and cold and falls from the sky?

Why it's snow! We lived in Louisiana for 34 years and it only snowed (as in covered the ground in a white blanket/stopped all road traffic/schools etc) TWICE, but it has snowed at least once every year we have lived in England. It started Saturday night and we woke up to this on Sunday morning:

It is so beautiful, but I find snow a bit wearing these days. The first few years I was out in the garden, building snowmen and having fun, but now I am older and want my cold bones to stay warm. I'd rather have a lazy day inside, admiring the view, drinking a hot drink and reading a book.

Besides, because it snowed on the weekend and there was time to grit the roads we still have to go to school. Boo! Hiss! I love my job, but walking on icy breakneck paths to work is not my idea of fun. Nor is giving detentions on the playground for putting snow down some unsuspecting person's back.

My main concern these days has been for the homeless people all over the UK, but particularly Hitchin. We have been having beastly weather--lows at minus 7, highs at minus 1--that sort of thing. Now with snow it must be terrible for them. I have the choice to stay in and have a hot cuppa, but many do not. Pray for them as the weather slowly makes its way to spring.

In the mean time, stay warm.

2 comments:

  1. lovely picture..........sometimes I miss the snow. I'd like to live in a place that has 4 distinct seasons, none of them too dramatically long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is beautiful...We have not had a real winter here this year, but that is ok. Praying for your poor homeless there and everywhere.

    ReplyDelete