Wednesday 21 November 2012

Giving Thanks

Today is the American holiday of Thanksgiving. I never could convince my Texas grandmother that this wasn’t a world wide holiday. Every year, she would marvel at the fact that we don’t celebrate it here. She always had that note of skepticism in her voice that made me think she didn’t believe me even after I reminded her of the origins of the holiday.

Our friend Karen sent us this e-card. I love it so much as that is what we would be eating if we did celebrate Thanksgiving here.
Thanksgiving Greetings from the Vegetable Kingdom
click on it to make it bigger  if you can't read it
 
But there are many things I am thankful for even if I am not celebrating in the traditional sense.  One of things I am thankful for is being a vegan. It means so much to be doing the best thing for my health, preventing animal suffering and helping save the planet—all things God can be proud of.  So in the words of my favourite vegan poet Benjamin Zephaniah here is what makes me thankful:

 
I am what you see

I’ve got no bodies inside me

All of me is me

I will not eat nobody else

So I am what you see

I do not plan to eat dead sheep

I will not eat a hen

I’m so proud of what I am

So I will say again

I’ve got no bodies inside me

All of me is me

I will not eat nobody else

So I am what you see

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving my dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a funny poem.......very Shel Silverstein or Ogden Nash.

    ReplyDelete