Wednesday 11 December 2019

What We Ate Wednesday--Super Fast Sweet Potato and Coconut Soup

Hello lovelies! I am still coming home really tired from work in need of something fast and nourishing. This is the third recipe I have tried from the cookbook Vegan in 15 and it really does live up to its name.

The trick is to blitz your veg in a food processor into tiny pieces...it really does help it cook in 15 minutes.

The original recipe called for Thai curry paste....I can't find any without fish sauce and I already had Korma curry paste in my fridge, so I just used that. Her recipe calls for 2 Tablespoons curry paste which I felt was not punchy enough so I made it with 3 Tablespoons. I dunno, maybe Thai is more potent than Korma.  She also ends with a garnish of fresh coriander, but I ain't got time for that as I am avoiding single use plastics as much as I can.

Super Fast Sweet Potato and Coconut Soup
2-3 TB curry paste of choice (I used Korma)
1 onion, roughly quartered
2 medium sweet potatoes, roughly chopped
1 large or 2 small carrots, roughly chopped
400ml tin coconut milk
tin refilled with water
1 tsp vegetable stock powder (or half a stock cube)

1. Heat 2 TB curry paste and 1/4 cup water while you chop your vegetables. Throw your onion in a food processor and blitz then add to pan with curry paste.
2. In your food processor, add the sweet potatoes and carrot and pulse til the size of rice grains. You may have to do this in 2 parts...all of this would not fit in my machine in one go then throw into the pan with the onion and curry paste.
3. Add the tin of coconut milk and refill the tin with water and add to the pan. Add the stock powder/half a stock cube and bring to the boil as quickly as you can.
4. Vigorously simmer for 10 minutes with the lid on then test for doneness. My sweet potato was soft after 10 minutes. Taste and see if you think it needs extra umph. If so add additional TB of curry paste.
4. Remove from heat and quickly blend with an immersion blender. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve.

Another perfect, warm and nutritious meal for after a busy day at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment