Wednesday 26 August 2020

Crafty Corner--my new phone holder

 Hello lovelies! I have been crafting like crazy lately, thanks to my friend Kirsty who found me several huge bags of curtains, duvet covers and sheets for fabric. It has inspired me to finally get in there and reorganise my craft room for easier project making. I bought several hugh-jass clear storage tubs at B&M Bargains for all my new fabric and I found all kinds of stuff I didn't even remember I had.

I have been working with clay, painting rocks and sewing this week after work and it feels great.

During lockdown I noticed that my phone case was beginning to go. I knew I wanted to craft a replacement but wasn't sure how to do it. While I was home with no place to go, I watched dozens of tutorials about how people made phone cases.

I had a great idea to make a little slip in envelope sort of case made from a men's necktie which was absolutely adorable, but extremely impracticable. I am a butterfingers. There is a reason i have the sort of case that is like a little book with a front cover because I drop my phone ALL THE TIME. I tried sewing a little pocket one and promptly dropped my slippery as an eel phone the moment I tried to get it out of its cute little envelope. I decided it would made a cute i-pod holder instead. 

So I began to look at only tutorials for the flip case style. This is what I found.

Some were paper--a terrible idea in wet Wales.

Some were cloth with cardboard inside for stiffness--also a bad idea in the country that never seems to stop raining.

Most were just glued together/no sew--I wanted to do a combination of sewing with a bit of gluing.

Some had little tiny strips of elastic in the corners to precariously hold your phone in--yeah, that is an accident waiting to happen.

Finally, I was allowed to go back to work and I just put up with my slightly raggedy phone case while i pondered and schemed. Finally--as so many good ideas do---it came to me in a dream.

Not a crack-ass dream but a craft-ass dream. I could use the little snap-in case that sits in the book part of the case and craft around it. No precariously placed strips of flimsy elastic for me! I could sew a cover and cut a little peephole for the camera. I could fill it with a bit of a soft old blanket to give it some padding and then instead of cardboard, I could use some craft foam that I found in my clean up. It would give it some flexible, waterproof stability.

I dug out this pretty fabric that came from a  sort of Indian-print throw and started planning. I added iron on interfacing for stiffness and used my phone case as a tracing pattern. I debated about adding little pockets but 1) that would be a faff and 2) I never really used them on my old phone case. 

I decided to add the classic button and elastic clasp because it is easy to make and looks nice. Who doesn't love a big decorative button??? 

Here it is: Ta-da!


 In the inside after sewing, I hot glued the slip-in case from my old phone case because it was still in good condition.


Now, here it is with the phone in--I really need to clean my screen. Also, this would be a good time to mention that is is impossible to take a photo of your phone with your phone. I had to resort to the camera and then tediously download it and edit it on the computer. My phone makes taking pictures so much easier!


I also closed it with a very nice rolled edge that I hand sewed. 

Now from the back--peek-a-boo! 


I am really proud of it...it is beautiful and hand made and exactly like how it was in the dream. It is soft to cushion the inevitable falls and when it wears out I will be able to make another one. I love that it is made from upcycled materials and it cost me nothing to make. 

Hoorah for crazy crafts! 

No comments:

Post a Comment