Wednesday 9 October 2019

What We Ate Wednesday--Coconut Mango Chickpeas with Broccoli

Hello lovelies! I was browsing recipes on the internet (as you do) and I came across this recipe by VEGAN RICHA and I was like "Hello! I have all the ingredients in my kitchen for this!" so i thought I would give it a go.

Me being me I didn't follow the directions particularly well and chopped and changed it a bit. I didn't have a tin of pureed mango, I had some frozen mango that I defrosted. I thought it needed much more garam masala and I never use a bay leaf on account of a childhood trauma where it was served to me in a school spaghetti and I became extremely suspicious of foliage in my food.  I didn't measure out 1 and 1/4 cups coconut milk, I just bunged a whole can in there. I also added the red pepper and broccoli.  You get the idea.

It was really good. You do need to taste at the end and adjust according to how your mangoes are--does it need a drizzle of something sweet or a touch of something sour?

Coconut Mango Chickpeas with Broccoli
The sauce:
1/4 red onion, diced small
1 TB ginger root, chopped fine
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/8 tap cloves
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tin coconut milk
flesh of one mango, tin of purred mango, heaping cup defrosted frozen mango...whatever mango you have basically

The rest:
the rest of the red onion, sliced into rainbows
half a red pepper, diced
half a crown of broccoli, cut into bite sized bits
1 tin of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1-3 tsp garam masala 
salt and pepper to taste
maybe a drizzle of something sweet or a teaspoon or two of vinegar. 

Serve over brown rice. 

1. Blend everything for the sauce in the blender and set aside.
2. Cook the red onion, pepper and broccoli in a splash of water until they are losing their raw edge and then add the chickpeas and the sauce. Simmer in the sauce until the brown rice is done. Taste for spices--does it need more garam masala? Sweetness or sourness?  Serve over rice.

It was lovely and creamy and filling.

No comments:

Post a Comment