Wednesday 6 November 2019

What We Ate Wednesday--Stir fry Noodle Bowl with BOSH Black Pepper Sauce

Hello lovelies! How have you been? Me--good, but insanely busy. We have been gearing up for my big book launch for my new book Wounds: New Openings Into Old Stories and I haven't had much time or energy to try new recipes--it's all been tried and true and quick and dirty. You know what I mean?

Last Friday, I finished work at 5:30pm, needed to go home and and eat and be back at work for 6:30 for an evening event. I knew I would need something that could be cooked in under 10 minutes to have to time to get there, eat and get back.  I figured if i did the food prep before work, I would just have to throw it in the pan when I got home.

I did decide to try one new component to the meal--a different sauce. I found this BOSH recipe in their cookbook that I got from the library and thought I would give it a try. I am so glad I did.

If you do the food prep ahead of time this cooks in 10 minutes.

Stir fry Noodle Bowl with BOSH Black Pepper Sauce
1 tin of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
small carrot (or half a big one) cut into matchsticks
half a red pepper, chopped
100g kale--several large handfuls

2 quick cooking noodle nests--ramen noodles would do, I use brown rice noodle nests that cook in 4 minutes

Sauce:
100ml vegetable stock
1 TB cornflour (I used tapioca starch) 
2 TB water
1 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp coarse ground black pepper
3 TB tamari or soy sauce
2 tsp rice wine vinegar

 1.Boil your kettle.
2. Throw all your veg except kale and chickpeas in a hot pan with 1/4 cup water.
3. When kettle boils pour over your noodle nests and cook for whatever the package time says and then drain.
4. While noodles are cooking and veg are cooking make the sauce in a small bowl or pyrex jug.
5. When noodles are done and draining, add the kale and chickpeas and the sauce to the veg and cook until kale is softened and sauce is thickened. Stir in noodles to mix.
6. Eat.

This will be a firm favourite for future nights when we are tired and busy. The pepper sauce was really tasty--spicy but not too hot if that makes sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment