Wednesday 25 November 2020

What We Ate Wednesday--Chocolate Peanut Butter Krispies (three ingredients!)

 Hello lovelies! Sometimes you just need an easy treat that comes together in a snap and doesn't have a tonne of ingredients. Am I right???

I used to love Rice Krispie Treats as a child, but they rely on marshmallows to stick them together and marshmallows aren't vegan because they are made with gelatine (which if you don't know is made from boiling animal bones and hooves. Even if I wasn't vegan that is just gross.) Sure, there are cruelty free vegan marshmallows out there, but they are wicked expensive for a tiny bag. So I thought "I wonder if you can stick them together with peanut butter?

After consulting google, it is indeed possible. There were many recipes out there with varying degrees and amounts of ingredients. Simpler is better here and I have hit upon the right combination. 

These are a wee bit delicate--you might need to use a small plate or cup your hand underneath as you eat, but they taste delicious. 

We used Tesco brand Free From Choco Snaps cereal to make it gluten free but any chocolate Rice Krispie cereal will do. As for the liquid sweetener, it needs to be thicker than maple syrup so something like agave, rice syrup or golden syrup (what we used) would work, If you are in the US something like Karo syrup might work if you can't get agave or rice syrup. 




Chocolate Peanut Butter Krispies

2/3 cup peanut butter

1/3 cup thick liquid sweetener (see above for suggestions)

3 cups chocolate crisp rice cereal

optional: 2 TB coconut oil (might help this stick together more...I never bothered)

Gently warm the peanut butter and liquid sweetener (and coconut oil if using) on the hob or in a microwave until more pliable and less stiff. Remove from heat and add the 3 cups of cereal and stir to combine making sure all pieces of coated. Stir carefully or you will smash all the krispies. Then spoon them into a greased 8 x 8 pan and press down with the back of a spoon. Then decide the spoon isn't working and press down very firmly with dampened fingers. 

Refrigerate for a few hours to firm up and then slice. Makes 8 slices if you are greedy or 16 if you have self control. Store in the fridge. 

That's it! 

1 comment:

  1. To anyone out there who thinks love spells don't work, I’m here to tell you that Lord Zakuza love spell is the best and most powerful. I am a wealthy man who has lots of assets and possessions but I have difficulty with women. Whenever I try to settle down with any, we end up breaking up and I had no idea of why I was going through such an experience in my relationship. It was so worrying that I couldn’t be myself anymore and I started searching for help everywhere even at my place of work. I was going through my work activities online and I came across a testimony of a lady called ( Febe Anouk ) regarding how Lord Zakuza helped her to restore her relationship with his love spell, I had to give it a try and I visited Lord Zakuza and I told him everything I was going through. Lord Zakuza consoled and promised to help me out with my situation by preparing a love spell for me. I followed the instructions given by him to me and within 48 hours, my Ex lover came looking for me and pleaded for forgiveness. Since I came in contact with Lord Zakuza, things have changed for good in my life and right now, I am married with two beautiful kids and my home is blessed. All thanks to Lord Zakuza I am forever thankful to you. WhatsApp him on +1 740-573-9483. Try him and your life will be blessed.

    ReplyDelete