Wednesday 18 November 2020

What We Ate Wednesday-- Salted Caramel Dipping Sauce

 Hello lovelies! Ever since Halloween I have been thinking about caramel apples. As you do. They were everywhere a few weeks ago-- in shops and on adverts--everywhere but in my belly. But I wanted a low sugar more natural vegan version so I dove into Google  and it turns out it is surprisingly easy to make using dates.

I made mine with the sweet soaking water from the dates, but other recipes used plant based milk or even coconut milk for a really rich and decadent version, but even my stripped down version was delicious. 

Try to get the best dates you can--medjool dates are king but can be expensive. I used some decent soft and squidgy deglet noor dates which are smaller. Softer, moister dates make a smoother product but you will be soaking them so it is OK if they are a bit on the dry side. You might just have to blend longer.


 

Salted Caramel Dipping Sauce

1 packed cup of pitted dates--medjool dates would probably be about 15 dates.  I used about 20 deglet noor dates 

boiling water to cover the dates

pinch sea salt (bonus points for smoked sea salt)

1 tsp vanilla essence

Optional: plant milk or coconut milk

Optional: 1 tsp peanut butter

1. Put your dates in a heatproof bowl and pour boiling water over them. Let them sit for 30 minutes.

2. Scoop out your dates with a slotted spoon and put in a food processor with the salt and vanilla and optional peanut butter. Pulse until broken down. Then run the machine and drizzle in liquid through the chute 1/4 cup at a time. I used the sweetened soaking water, because waste not-want not. But it could be milk here. I found that 3/4 cup was the right consistency for me. It will thicken up the fridge so 3/4 cup liquid was a tad on the loose side (I had a momentary blip where I doubted myself and thought I had messed it up, then after an hour in the fridge was PERFECT.) 

3. That's it. Serve with apple slices. Feel a bit smug about being naughty and healthy simultaneously as you eat it. 

Google says it lasts for up to a week in the fridge but we ate it in about 3 days. It makes about a cup's worth so feel free to double or triple if you have a family to feed. 

1 comment:

  1. To anyone out there who thinks love spells don't work, I’m here to tell you that Lord Zakuza love spell is the best and most powerful. I am a wealthy man who has lots of assets and possessions but I have difficulty with women. Whenever I try to settle down with any, we end up breaking up and I had no idea of why I was going through such an experience in my relationship. It was so worrying that I couldn’t be myself anymore and I started searching for help everywhere even at my place of work. I was going through my work activities online and I came across a testimony of a lady called ( Febe Anouk ) regarding how Lord Zakuza helped her to restore her relationship with his love spell, I had to give it a try and I visited Lord Zakuza and I told him everything I was going through. Lord Zakuza consoled and promised to help me out with my situation by preparing a love spell for me. I followed the instructions given by him to me and within 48 hours, my Ex lover came looking for me and pleaded for forgiveness. Since I came in contact with Lord Zakuza, things have changed for good in my life and right now, I am married with two beautiful kids and my home is blessed. All thanks to Lord Zakuza I am forever thankful to you. WhatsApp him on +1 740-573-9483. Try him and your life will be blessed.

    ReplyDelete