Thursday 20 January 2011

Appetite For Reduction

Its a cookbook and a pun rolled into one! I have been waiting (im)patiently for this cookbook by Isa Chandra Moskowitz to be released on our side of the pond. Then last week it came! And the heavens parted and the angels were stirring up their pots of veggies and singing and all was right with the world.

I love to cook. I do not collect many cookbooks as I prefer to get my recipes from blogs and  websites. But there are some cookbooks I like to have around. Anything by Dreena Burton. I am a follower of her blog  http://vivelevegan.blogspot.com/   and own all her cookbooks.  I am doing a wee-wee dance in anticipation as I wait for her new one to be released. But Ill have to wait a while before it comes out. I dont even think it is to the publishing stage yet. Nooooooooooooooooooo!!!

But I also like Isas blog  http://www.theppk.com/  and recipes. I like her chatty, sarcastic tone as she writes comments about the recipes. But many have been higher in fat than I like. She wrote a whole book on cupcakes, for Friths sake. And even if the cupcakes are smack your Granny delicious, I just cant justify ¼ cup vegetable shortening plus ¼ cup margarine--and that was just the frosting. So whats a vegan girl to do who needs big flavour but lower fat? Wait for Isa to make a cookbook called Appetite For Reduction, thats what.

The book looks amazing. I could spend hours just reading the recipes and drooling and wanking. Figuratively speaking. But the descriptionsoh myand the ingredients..and the flavours.Ah……..I can hardly wait to start cooking. It is agonising what to cook first. This week it will be Trattoria Pasta salad with White Beans--basically pasta, white beans, rocket (arugula to my US peeps), red onion, roasted red pepper, olives in sun dried tomato and walnut dressing. Does that not sound like a party in your mouth???? Well also be sampling Chili Lime Rubbed Tofu (exactly what it says on the tin) as well as Arabian Lentil and Rice Soup a delicious Lebanese dish made from red lentils, brown basmati rice and lemon juice plus lots and lots of cumin. And finally Yam & Black Bean Soup with Orange and Cilantro (or coriander as we call it here) The name says it all really. There are simply LOADS of tempeh recipes to try but my local Health Food Shop has not been able to get it in for a few weeks. But when I get some I plan to try Irish Stew with Potatoes and Tempeh. It was meant to be made with seitan but that is 100% pure gluten which gives me a tummy ache and makes me a very cranky Spidergrrl. But I can sub the tempeh to make a hearty Irish Stew with tempeh and potatoes cooked in beer. Yum! I also cannot wait to try her Cajun Beanballs and Spaghetti. The bean balls are made from black eyed peas, tempeh and Cajun spices in a spicy tomato sauce. Yes, please.   

So now that I a finished with Boudicca until next year, Ill be working on my next project and spending my days in the kitchen. Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment