Sweet, caramel-y, moist and rich. Yes please.
Easy to make. Yes please.
Suitable for everyone, including vegans and gluten free folks. Yes please.
Preheat your oven to 350F/180C degrees. Grease an 8 x 8 square pan.
Roughly 18 dates, pitted. If they are big use less.
¾ cup milk of your choice (we used Oatly)
¾ cup sugar (I used Tate & Lyle brown sugar with stevia--you can use half to get the same sweetness--I used 1/3 cup T&L)
1 cup all purpose flour (I used GF plus 1 tsp xanthan gum)
1 tsp baking SODA (not baking powder)
1/4 cup canola) oil (it is plenty moist with just ¼ cup oil. Original recipe called for ½ cup. Seriously. You don‘t need it. Use ¼ cup)
1. Put your dates in the milk and warm the milk slightly on the stove top or microwave and let it sit for about 15 minutes to soften the dates.
2. Sift your flour and baking soda and xanthan gum (if GF) in a bowl.
3. Stir the sugar into the warm milk/date mixture and stir until it dissolves. Put the whole lot in the blender and blend until smooth.
4. Add the oil to the date puree and stir well to combine.
5. Slowly add your flour mixture 1 heaping TB at a time and stir. I know….that seems a bit of a faff. But trust me.
6. The batter will be VERY stiff. Resist the urge to add more liquid.
7. Spoon the stiff batter into your greased pan.
8. Bake for 30-40 minutes (mine was just right at around 32 minutes) or until a knife inserted in the cake comes out clean.
Make it for your vegan friends!
Make it for your gluten free friends!
Make it for anyone who likes cake!
Make it for yourself!
Make some for me!