Do you remember Bert and Ernie from Sesame Street? Of course you do unless you were raised by wolves/on a desert island/on the moon. Who doesn’t love Bert and Ernie?
Lightly grease a loaf tin--hers is 8 x 5 but I think mine is 9 x 5. Add a bit of parchment paper down the long sides and across the bottom. You cake will be super easy to lift out of the tin after baking. Seriously. Why have I never tried this before?
|look how easy this is going to be to remove!|
¼ cup soy yogurt
Zest of 1 lemon
½ cup lemon juice ---I used juice of one fresh lemon (the one I zested) and then the rest bottled lemon juice and it came out fine.
3.5 TB rapeseed oil (or more yogurt to make it oil free. I used 2 TB oil and 1.5 more yogurt)
½ TB vanilla essence
1 cup wholemeal spelt flour (could use wholemeal wheat flour)
Scant ½ tsp baking SODA
¼ tsp plus 1/8 tsp salt
½ cup sugar (I used ¼ cup Tate and Lyle Demerara sugar with stevia--same sweetness as ½ cup)
1 TB poppy (not poopy!) seeds
(non) Optional Glaze--¼ cup powdered icing sugar + 1 tsp lemon juice.
1. In a bowl whisk the wet ingredients together.
2. In a separate bowl stir dry ingredients together.
3. Mix wet with dry and stir until just combined.
4. Spoon into loaf pan and smooth top.
5. Bake 25 minutes or until loaf has risen and a toothpick comes out clean from the centre.
6. Let cool a few minutes and then use parchment paper to carefully lift out (so easy!) and continue cooling on a wire rack. When cooled top with glaze.
7. For optimum freshness store in the fridge.
It was delicious--tangy and refreshing. Lightly sweet. Really yum and super easy. It came together quickly. We will definitely make this again and the brightness of the lemon really cheered me up after recent disappointments.