Thursday 25 August 2016

Music That Saved me--Letter O

My first O choice is OMD (Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark)
Image result for omd
Most Americans instinctively think of If You Leave because it was played at the end of the John Hughes film Pretty In Pink where Molly Ringwald sucks face with Andrew McCarthy (my biggest crush of the 80's)  in a car park in the pouring rain.
Image result for andrew mccarthy
swoon
 But no, I want to to play you a lesser know track called Enola Gay. It was banned in the States and on the BBC kid's show Swap Shop because they thought the word gay meant it was about homosexuals but in reality, it was about the dropping of the atomic bomb on Hiroshima.  The song refers to the bomber Enola Gay (named after the pilot's mum--I bet she *loved* that) that carried the bomb Little Boy that was dropped at 8:15. All of these things are referenced in the song and it was released in response to Margaret Thatcher allowing  US nuclear missiles to be housed in Britain. It is a very serious subject matter with an incredibly bouncy beat that makes you want to Snoopy Dance.  You know what I mean by Snoopy Dance, don't you?

So here's Enola Gay. Is is just me or does the lead singer look like Neville Longbottom?
Watch it here:

The Oyster band
Image result for oyster band
We discovered them when they did a duet with Chumbawumba called Goodbye to the Crown. They do lots of traditional folk music including a song called Molly Bond which is a version of Peter, Paul and Mary's Polly Vonn. But my favourite is Hal-an-Tow. I defy you not to tap your toe.
Listen to it here:
The Other Ones
Image result for the other ones
When I was working the shittiest summer job at the filthiest Baskin Robbins in the nation this song saved me. I sang it under my breath constantly just to keep myself sane. I do not know anything else by this band, but i owe my sanity to this song.
Watch it here:
Oingo Boingo
Image result for oingo boingo
This cool new wave band with ska, punk and world music influences was led by none other than Danny Elfman. You know him as the guy who does all the groovy music in Tim Burton films. My favourite song would have to be Dead Man's Party. Someone has fittingly added video clips from The Nightmare Before Christmas and the Corpse Bride.
Watch it here:

Do you have a song that you sing to yourself to raise your spirits when things look bleak?

2 comments:

  1. Great choices! Oingo Boingo is one of my very favorites! Lead singer Danny is the uncle, I think of actress Jenna Elfman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my other favorite O is The Outfield!

    ReplyDelete