Tuesday 22 August 2017

What We Ate Wednesday--Roasted Parsnips, Carrots, and Chickpeas with Kale

Hello lovelies. This week’s meal was a “clean out the fridge” meal which was so gorgeous, it deserves a blogpost.

I looked in my fridge. I had parsnips and carrots and kale. I had chickpeas. I had brown rice. I had one tiny onion and a sorry half of a green pepper. I could do something with that.

I often roast parsnips and carrots and I often roast chickpeas, so I figured why not roast them together?

I decided to combine how I roast both of these and do my standard sautéed kale and serve it over rice.

This totally worked.

Roasted Parsnips, Carrots, and Chickpeas with Kale

Preheat your oven to 220C/ 425F and put your roasting tin in the oven to heat up.

In a bowl combine:
2 large or 4 small parsnips, cut into strips
1 large or 2 small carrots, cut into strips
1 tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 TB oil
1 TB tamari or soy sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
1 TB liquid sweetener like maple syrup, agave or golden syrup (don’t add this yet!)

1. When the oven is preheated, take your hot pan out and add the above into it. It will sizzle! Turn the heat down to 200C/400F and put back in the hot oven for 20 minutes.

On the hob:

When the countdown on your timer is about 5 minutes then sauté the following in a large pan in a splash of water or oil.

1 onion, sliced into rainbows
Half a pepper, chopped

2. When the timer beeps, stir and put back in the oven for 5 minutes. When the timer beeps again, take out the roasting tin and add your TB liquid sweetener and put it back in the hot oven for 5 more minutes.

3.Add 100g of kale (destemmed and torn up)—about 4-5 cups to the pan on the hob and cook with a splash of water until reduced and bright green. Then add:

A good glug of tamari or soy sauce
1 drizzle of toasted sesame oil
A good squidge of liquid sweetener like golden syrup

(I realise these measurements are imprecise, but that is how I do it.)

Serve the greens with the roasted veg (which are soft and caramelised) and the roasted chickpeas (which are crunchy) over brown rice.

 I use easy cook brown rice. I started boiling my water first, so that I put the roasting tin in the oven when the rice started to cook so they would come out round the same time.  Make sense?


This was super healthy and super delicious. It made enough for 4 servings or two greedy people servings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment