Wednesday 15 August 2018

What We Ate Wednesday--Pea and Mint Hummus

Hello lovelies! I am so easily suggestible when it comes to food. Mention something that sounds good and I will be OBSESSED with it until I can make it myself. FACT.

Last week my friend Bexy casually mentioned that she had eaten Pea and Mint Hummus and I was like Get in my belly!  I quizzed her about how it was made and she said it was a storebought one from Aldi. She said it was Lemony, refreshing and VERY green.

That settled it. I was making me some of that spreadable deliciousness.

I did some searches online for recipes...some used all peas, some used a mixture of peas and chickpeas, some used white beans instead of chickpeas but all used fresh mint leaves.

Now, Bexy is a gardener. When I said I didn't have any fresh mint she offered to bring me some in a pot. Then I laughed my head off and said I have yet to be able to keep a mint plant alive which she agreed was very impressive.

It is nigh on impossible to kill mint.

But I have done it.

Multiple times.

I am a mint murderer.

So I decided to use mint sauce. But if you are not a mint murder, then by all means use fresh mint.

I also decided to use white beans (in my case butter beans as they are cheaper than haricot or cannellini) instead of chickpeas as i find they make a creamier hummus without as much oil.

I also decided to use a fresh lemon rather than bottled lemon. Sometimes I interchange them, but I wanted the zest and a pop of extra lemony flavour.

Pea and Mint Hummus

In a food processor blend the following until smooth:

2 cups frozen peas, defrosted in boiling water and rinsed with cold water
1 tin white beans, drained and rinsed SAVE THE LIQUID 
1 clove chopped garlic
zest and juice of one lemon
2 TB tahini (sesame seed paste)
1 TB olive oil
small handful of mint leaves, torn small or 1 TB mint sauce
liquid from the tin of beans as needed

Blend everything really well, stopping to scrape down the sides occasionally. Add the bean liquid a few TB at a time until it is desired consistency. I used 4 TB to get it how I like it.

Spoon into containers. I love salsa jars. They are the perfect size. This makes 2 and a half salsa jars so just about 2.5 cups of hummus.

Did you know you can freeze hummus? You can. Just defrost overnight in the fridge.

I freeze two and put the half filled jar in the fridge.

Making your own hummus is way more economical as you can make a huge batch for pennies compare to those teeny plastic  tubs you get at the supermarket.

I make a lot of different flavoured hummus for my lunch, so will hopefully start to document them and share recipes instead of just stuffing them into my mouth.


No comments:

Post a Comment