Wednesday 3 October 2018

What We Ate Wednesday--Cocoa Coconut "Nung" Balls

Hello lovelies! This is one of those copycat recipes. It's Not Quite made like the original (but tastes just like it), but I just used what I had on hand to make them.

I try really hard not to buy single serve snacks in non-recyclable wrappers. But the other day I had been out and about running errands and I was out much longer then i meant to be and I started to go all funny.

I am hypoglycemic so when I go funny:

  • My vision goes all wibbly
  •  I feel extremely tired
  • I feel dizzy
  • I can actually see the energy slowly drain out of my body  like the water from a kiddie pool
I also get HANGRY (hungry + angry) so this is not a good combination. I was loaded down with library books and and a kilogram bag of rice flour and half a kilo head of broccoli and I suddenly needed a bit of food and a sit down. 

I popped into our local Health Food Shop Aardvark Alternatives and bought one of these for 99p. 
NĂ„kd Cocoa Coconut
I had never tried this flavour, but it was really good. I sat down on a bench and ate my Nakd Bar and pondered on the ingredients as my energy level rose like the mercury in a hot thermometer. I *knew* I could make this at home. 

Now I have made little LITTLE CHOCOLATE BROWNIE BITES rolled in coconut, but these had the coconut inside. 

I went home, unpacked all my bags and got to work.

Now their recipe used dates, raisins, coconut, cocoa powder and cashews. I didn't have raisins or cashews on hand, so i used all dates and (GF) oats. 

They taste *exactly* like the Nakd bar, but in reality they look like little DUNG BALLS. Seriously, like the sort of ball the ancient Egyptians believed was rolled across the sky to be the sun by the solar deity Khepri. 

That is why there are no photos of this delicious treat as I don't want to put you off. 

I have called them NUNG BALLS because they are Not Dung balls, ya dig? 

Nung Balls
3/4 cup dates soaked in warm water for about 20 minutes then drained (save the soaking water)
1/2 cup desiccated coconut (dried shredded coconut)
1/2 cups (GF) oats or cashews
3 TB cocoa powder

Whack everything in your food processor and blend until it sticks together. Adding in a TB at a time of the date water if it is not sticking together properly. Then roll into a dozen balls while pretending to be  a scarab beetle or the god Khepri. Or just be yourself rolling up treats if you lack imagination or don't have time for nonsense ..

Store in the fridge. it made 12 balls...well, probably more like 13 but i kept nibbling at it. If you were making bar shapes like the actual nakd bar, I'd say it would make 4. 

No comments:

Post a Comment