Wednesday 18 September 2019

What We Ate Wednesday--Cajun Red Lentil and Sweetcorn Soup


Hello lovelies! I've been working overtime for the last few weeks and I haven't really had the energy to try new recipes...we've just been sticking with tried and true, quick and easy meals.

I got a cookbook by Elly Pear called Fast Days & Feast Days from the library and I saw this recipe for Cajun Split Pea and Corn Soup. I didn't have any split peas, but I did have red lentils. Her recipe also took an hour to cook because split peas take longer, so i went with red lentils and they only take about 15 minutes to cook. The whole soup was done in about 30 minutes.

I also added some nutritional yeast and the lemon as I felt it needed a little something to lift it at the end. She added salt, but I didn't as my Cajun seasoning contained salt.

Also, this expands HUGELY due to the lentils swelling so use your biggest pot.

Cajun Red Lentil and Sweetcorn Soup

1 onion, diced
4-6 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 TB Cajun seasoning
500 g red lentils, picked over and rinsed in a sieve
500 g defrosted frozen sweetcorn
2 litres (8 cups) hot vegetable stock
juice of one lemon

1. Cook your onion and garlic in a splash of water or oil. I tend to use water these days and it works fine. While the onion is cooking, defrost your frozen corn with boiling water. Drain the defrosted and corn.
2. Add your Cajun spices and stir to coat the onions then add your well rinsed lentils, sweetcorn and boiling vegetable stock. Bring to the boil then turn down the heat and simmer.
3. After about 15 minutes your lentils should be soft and swollen. Scoop several cups of hot soup into your blender (be careful!) and blend til smooth. Add back to your soup.
4. Add your nutritional yeast flakes and the lemon juice and lots of black pepper. Taste and see does it need more Cajun seasoning. If so add a little more.

This made 6 HUGE thick, filling bowls of soup. We are just having it over several nights, but  I suspect it will freeze well.

1 comment: