Monday 27 November 2017

Murder Ballad Monday--The Irish Ballad (Tom Lehrer)

Hello and welcome to Murder Ballad Monday. Last week we began looking at murder ballads with a humorous slant. This week is no exception.

If you don't know Tom Lehrer then you don't know what you are missing. He is a Harvard educated mathematician who was famous for his pithy, humorous songs. His dry sense of humour really appeals to me and was one of the first things Spiderman and I discovered we had in common--a love for these witty songs.

He is known in the adult world for songs like The Elements where he sings all the elements on the Periodic table to the tune of I Am the Very Model of a Modern Major General from Gilbert and Sullivan's The Pirates of Penzance.

He is know in the kiddie world as the singer of some of the best songs from The Electric Company such as LY and Silent E. I still use both of these when teaching to explain these concepts.
                                  Image result for tom lehrer songs by
But the song I want to discuss today is entitled The Irish Ballad from his 1953 album Songs by Tom Lehrer which makes fun of of this style of sob-story tragedy ballads, so common in Irish lore. He sings with a perfectly straight face an increasingly disturbing catalogue of murders by a young girl who does her whole family in. He includes elements of traditional folk ballads--an "idiotic refrain" with the words rickety-tickety-tin, interminable verses and a wrong note played every now and then to sound authentic.

There are even two punchlines--one where she arrested for her crimes and one where the singer denounces the audience saying:
My tragic tale, I won't prolong,
Rickety-tickety-tin,
My tragic tale I won't prolong,
And if you do not enjoy the song,
You've yourselves to blame if it's too long,
You should never have let me begin, begin,
You should never have let me begin.

It is a true masterpiece of comedy. I have included the lyrics below if you'd like to follow along. 


 About a maid I'll sing a song,
Sing rickety-tickety-tin,
About a maid I'll sing a song
Who didn't have her family long.
Not only did she do them wrong,
She did ev'ryone of them in, them in,
She did ev'ryone of them in.

One morning in a fit of pique,
Sing rickety-tickety-tin,
One morning in a fit of pique,
She drowned her father in the creek.
The water tasted bad for a week,
And we had to make do with gin, with gin,
We had to make do with gin.

Her mother she could never stand,
Sing rickety-tickety-tin,
Her mother she could never stand,
And so a cyanide soup she planned.
The mother died with a spoon in her hand,
And her face in a hideous grin, a grin,
Her face in a hideous grin.

She set her sister's hair on fire,
Sing rickety-tickety-tin,
She set her sister's hair on fire,
And as the smoke and flame rose high'are,
Danced around the funeral pyre,
Playin' a violin, -olin,
Playin' a violin.

She weighted her brother down with stones,
Rickety-tickety-tin,
She weighted her brother down with stones,
And sent him off to davy jones.
All they ever found were some bones,
And occasional pieces of skin, of skin,
Occasional pieces of skin.

One day when she had nothing to do,
Sing rickety-tickety-tin,
One day when she had nothing to do,
She cut her baby brother in two,
And served him up as an irish stew,
And invited the neighbors in, -bors in,
Invited the neighbors in.

And when at last the police came by,
Sing rickety-tickety-tin,
And when at last the police came by,
Her little pranks she did not deny,
To do so she would have had to lie,
And lying, she knew, was a sin, a sin,
Lying, she knew, was a sin.

My tragic tale, I won't prolong,
Rickety-tickety-tin,
My tragic tale I won't prolong,
And if you do not enjoy the song,
You've yourselves to blame if it's too long,
You should never have let me begin, begin,
You should never have let me begin.

That's all for this week. Stay tuned next week for a tale of a white trash murder.

No comments:

Post a Comment