Wednesday 29 November 2017

What We Ate Wednesday--Cheesy Sweet Potato and Chickpea Bowl

Hello lovelies! This recipe contains some of my favourite ingredients--chickpeas, sweet potatoes and kale. I do *a lot* of recipe browsing on the internet and sometimes you see a recipe that hits you POW! and you think,

"That looks amazing. I have everything to make that right in my kitchen I don't have to think about it, just follow the recipe and eat up all that deliciousness."

Then Spiderman laughs as he knows I cannot follow a recipe exactly. There must be little tweaks.

I did try with this recipe. Honestly. Hand on heart. I made it exactly as it was described on the blog Keepin' It Kind which you can read {HERE} we ended up liking it without the lemon tahini sauce. I mean, lemon and tahini are two more of my favourite things, so i thought we'd love it, but these days we eat this bowl NAKED.

Or NEKKID if you are from the American South.

Sometimes I just make the sweet potatoes and have them with my pimped baked beans cos we are wild like that.

I told you I don't follow the rules.

But this is worth trying with the sauce if you like that sort of thing. Find the sauce recipe {HERE}

But here is my version of Keepin' It Kind's bowl of deliciousness.


Cheesy Sweet Potato and Chickpea Bowl
Preheat your oven to 220C/425F

Add the following to your roasting tin:
2 medium (or 3 small) sweet potatoes cut into small chunks
1 TB oil
3 TB nutritional yeast flakes to make it cheesy
1/2 tsp garlic powder
shake smoked paprika
salt and pepper to taste
Stir well to get everything coated.

Bake for 15 minutes, the remove from the oven and stir and bake another 15 minutes.

When you have stirred and put the sweet potatoes back in the oven, work on the chickpea part.

The chickpea part:
1 tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
4-5 button mushrooms chopped

Cook those together in the pan until the mushrooms cook down and the add:
100g kale, destemmed and torn into bite sized pieces (about 4-5 cups)

Cook this until the kale has softened and reduced then add:
2 TB tamari or soy sauce
2 tsp mixed herbs
2 TB lemon juice (I use from a squeezy bottle and it is fine) 

That's it. By this time the sweet potatoes are all dry and crispy and cheesy and the kale and chickpeas are all cooked and savoury from the tamari, lemon and mixed herbs.

It is a lovely taste combination (with or without the lemon tahini sauce)

Make it and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Dang, that sounds delicious!

    p.s. Naked means without clothes, and Nekkid means without clothes and you're up to mischief. Nekkid as a JayBird is even worse.

    ReplyDelete