Saturday 20 November 2010

Raw Chocolate Chilli Fudge



Never eaten raw fudge? This stuff is hella-good. And rich so you wont need much to satisfy your cravings. Almonds are high in calcium--30g provides 9% of the RDA for calcium and 27% of magnesium. They are also good sources of zinc and vitamin E. Walnuts are packed with B vitamins as well as Omega 3 and Omega 6. Dates are high in iron and unsweetened cocoa powder is high in antioxidants.

Raw Chocolate Chilli Fudge

¾ cup almonds
¾ cup walnuts
1 tsp vanilla extract
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
Large pinch sea salt--smoked if you can get it
1 tsp cayenne pepper
½ to 1 tsp red chilli flakes (to taste)
6-8 Medjool dates--depending on size. They really need to be medjool dates--other dates are not sticky enough. I have had OK luck with ¾ medjool dates and ¼ other smaller less sticky ones in a pinch

In your food processor, grind your nuts (no sexist jokes please!) until coarsely ground. Add everything but the chilli flakes and whiz until it sticks together. If it seems to dry add 1-2 tsp water and whiz again until it makes a sticky, fudgy ball. Then sprinkle in the chilli flakes and kneed them into the dough. Be sure to have turned off your food processor and removed the blade before attempting this bit. Dont come crying to me if you accidentally chop your fingers off.

Now you have 2 choices. You can press it into an 8 x 8 pan and make brownies you can cut or do like we do and roll them into balls. Salty, spicy chocolate balls. Again--no jokes. I think they look a bit like dung balls and like to pretend Im a dung beetle as I roll them up, but thats just me.

However you do it--pan or balls--store them both in the fridge until they are all gobbled up.  

I leave you with my favourite joke about dung (yes, I have a favourite joke about dung. It’s from an old Monty Python episode)

What’s brown and sounds like a bell? Give up?? DUNG!!!!!!!!!!!! I laugh out loud every time I tell it. Seriously.
Coming soon--raw chocolate chip cookies!


1 comment:

  1. Sorry I have been out of touch. Just returned from Louisiana! Becky's parents are with us now, first night was last night. I want to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete