Thursday 26 January 2017

The Earworm That I Used To Know (Four ways)

Do you know what an earworm is? You know that song you can't get out of your head?
Image result for earworm

Spiderman would say that an earworm is a BAD thing. But I like it. I routinely become obsessed with a song and then hum or sing bits of it over and over and over to myself.

I don't even notice I am doing it.

Spiderman notices.

I don't think Murder Ballad Monday has been easy on him.

However, I am currently obsessed (Obsessed, I tell you!) with Somebody That I used To Know by Gotye (feat. Kimbra). I love the song, but am completely enamoured with the video.

I had always pronounced his name Got ya! Like Gotcha, but without the cha. Apparently, it is actually pronounced Go-Tee-Ay. You know, like Jean Paul Gaultier. Who knew?

But back to the video.

I adore this song and video so much.

  • I love the way the volume is so extreme--practically a whisper and then a shout. 
  • The way he sings at the beginning without seeming to move his upper lip, the music barely sliding out of the corner of his mouth. 
  • I love the way on the shouty chorus his mouth changes from a tiny crevice to an enormous cave. He's like a wide mouth frog. I have tried lip-syncing this song in front of the mirror and cannot, for the life of me, get my mouth to be this cavernous. 
  • I love the duel perspectives in the narration. 
  • I love the way she stands beside him and shouts her bit into his ear and he flinches.
  • Of course, the paint. I love the paint. I want to be painted like that. 
Watch the video here to see what I am talking about:

.  Isn't that bloody amazing???

OK, so while I was playing this song on repeat (when Spiderman was at work--I didn't want him to murder me) I discovered there was a Star Wars parody!!!! It is all about the travesty that began with The Phantom Menace.  You know what I'm talking about. Like Simon Pegg's character in Spaced ranting at that kid in the comic shop who wanted to buy the Jar Jar doll. "You weren't there in the beginning! You don't know how good it was! How important!"

In my opinion, the only good thing that came out of The Phantom Menace was Weird Al's The Saga Begins to the tune of American Pie.

So watch the Star Wars That I Used To Know  right now:

Isn't that brilliant??? I just love that they even made George Lucas do Kimbra's shoulder shrug!! Plus I really love that the whole background was slowly becoming a green screen.

Then, if that wasn't enough, I found a cover version of the song by Walk Off the Earth. The song is good, but the video is fantastic. Five people play the same guitar and sing. Yes, you heard me right. Five people simultaneously play the same guitar. Watch it here and be amazed:

That's pretty impressive, right? But wait. It gets better. The Key of Awesome has done a parody of the Walk Off the Earth version, complete with five people sharing a guitar, but for a very different reason.
Watch it here and be ready to laugh:

Now, you have an earworm too! However, I can't be held responsible for what might happen if you go around humming this to yourself all day.

2 comments:

  1. I never heard it before, but I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just read this today. I love to hear you go on and on (picture flapping arms) about something you love.

    ReplyDelete