Thursday 5 January 2017

Vision Quest

I don't do new year's resolutions. I just don't think they work. People start off with good intentions and real life gets in the way and the promises you made on January 1st just melt away. Most of them are quite negative anyway. I like to do something positive.

For the last few years I have made a vision board.  Basically, it is an excuse to cut and glue stuff, but with a purpose.

I always save back magazines, fliers etc and cut the letters out and file them alphabetically in a craft organiser (no, really) and use them to make interesting things. I really like that "ransom note" look! You'd be surprised how many magazines you can get for free. Our local Tesco one has every few months and the Health Food Shops give one away, too.

Aside from interesting letters, I also start saving interesting phrases. Words that speak to me and tell me what I want to do in the upcoming year or who I want to be. Qualities that I would like to cultivate or attitudes I would like to see more of.

Here is my board for this year:


I am cheap so I did it on the back of last year's vision board. That's why there are coloured triangles in the corners--not to be decorative, but to cover up the blue-tac!

I know it is a bit woo-woo, but it really makes me feel better and more empowered over the year. I put it up in my craft room near my desk, so I can see it as I am sewing or makings cards or writing in my journal. Every morning when get my exercise clothes from in there, I read it and think about how I will achieve these goals for that day. Right there I have already begun because exercise fulfils the phrases your body is designed to move and feel good every day and be well.  

 What are your goals for the new year? How will you achieve them? Why not try making a vision board to help you be clear about who you want to be in 2017. 

1 comment:

  1. I will have to send you a photo of the bulletin board in my office at school. It's similar to this, except I use bumper stickers. It's been up for years. I too get inspiration from just looking at it from time to time.

    ReplyDelete