Wednesday 19 April 2017

What We Ate Wednesday--"Hoisin" Noodle Bowl

Hello lovelies! We're back with another noodle bowl idea. We sure do eat a lot of these! They are easy to prepare, full of veggies and delicious sauces. What's not to love?

Previously I have written about Cheating stir fry noodle bowl which is quick and Singapore noodles which is equally delicious, but takes more time to make. Todays "Hoisin" Noodle Bowl is somewhere in between. This is mainly due to how long it takes you to destem and tear up the kale. After that, it's a piece of cake.

Why have I put "hoisin" in inverted commas, you ask? Well shop bought hoisin sauce in a jar has wheat in it  and this a Gluten Free version. Plus that's what Oh My Veggies calls it. I adapted my sauce from her recipe for Asian lettuce wraps that are meant to be like PF Changs. You can read her version here.

I adapted my version to what I had on hand. I don't use miso paste as it is expensive and has to be refrigerated, but I know that miso gives you that umami taste so I substituted my old friend Engevita nutritional yeast as nooch has the same umami quality. I also don't have rice wine vinegar so I just left it out.

I pride myself on having cheap and nutritious meals. This is one of them. If wheat is not an issue, it can be made even cheaper by using Ramen noodles (not the spice packet, just the noodles). They were a staple of my diet when I was at Uni because they were like 4 for $1. I have to remind myself that I haven't been a poor student in 25 years and I have no idea what they cost these days, but I would bet still cheap. I use rice noodle nests as they are gluten free. I can get 5 noodle nests for £1.49. I bet Ramen noodles would be even cheaper.



Hoisin Noodle Bowl
Make the sauce:
1/4 cup tamari or soy sauce
2 TB peanut butter
1 TB nutritional yeast flakes
1 TB liquid sweetener (agave, maple syrup or golden syrup) 
2 tsp toasted sesame oil
2-3 cloves crushed garlic
1 TB finely shopped ginger root
1 tsp sriracha hot sauce

For the rest:
100g curly kale (4 cups or thereabouts? It's half a bag for us) destemmed and torn into bite size bits
1 onion, chopped
half a pepper, diced
half a large carrot cut into matchsticks
1 tin water chestnuts, drained and rinsed
1/3 cup peanuts
2 noodle nests. 

1.Cook the onion, pepper and carrot until soft and add the kale. Cook the kale (adding a splash of water if needed) until reduced and bright green.
2. Meanwhile, boil your kettle. Tear up your noodle nests into smaller pieces to prevent shlurping and put them in a pot. Pour over boiling water and cook according to package directions. For me that's 3 minutes, then drain. 
3. Add the noodles, the sauce, the water chestnuts to the pot and heat until the sauce is bubbling.
4. Garnish with peanuts. 

You will note that there are no water chestnuts in the photo because I was running my mouth trying to tell Spiderman an amusing story about my day and I forgot them. So the recipe is fine without them, but better with them. Perhaps you are more talented than I am and can tell amusing stories and follow a recipe at the same time. Perhaps not. 

No matter which way you try it, you will find it good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment