Tuesday 1 September 2020

What We Ate Wednesday--Easy Peasy Curry

 Hello lovelies! I cannot believe I have never written about this. I was sure I had. But I searched all the the key word combinations I could and I never found it. It may be there but it is deeply buried, so I thought I would resurrect it.

We eat this curry a lot because it is cheap and easy and makes enough for about 6 bowls if you serve it with brown rice. Curry paste makes it happen in a snap. The original recipe was something I found in a free magazine from Waitrose...it may have been a Jamie Oliver recipe. It definitely used Balti curry paste, but now we just chuck in whatever curry paste we have on hand. It's all good. This curry is very forgiving. 



Easy Peasy Curry

1 onion, diced

half a red pepper, diced

garlic

1 TB chopped ginger root

1 tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed

1 tin tomatoes

4 TB curry paste

600g potatoes, cubed

200g (about 2 heaping cups) frozen peas, run under hot water to take the ice off

brown rice to serve

1. Chop the potatoes and boil them until easily pierced by a knife, Drain and reserve.

2. Meanwhile in another large pot, cook the onion and garlic and ginger in a splash of oil or vegetable stock until softened. Add the chickpeas, tinned tomatoes and curry paste and turn up the heat and when it starts to bubble turn the heat back down and simmer with the lid on, stirring occasionally. 

3. When the rice is nearly done, add the potatoes and defrosted peas to the curry and heat until piping hot. Taste for salt and pepper. Serve over rice.

That is literally it. We have it the first night with rice and the second night with cream-style corn which you can either buy in a tin or whack some sweetcorn and milk in a blender and make. 

No comments:

Post a Comment