Tuesday 4 October 2011

We interupt this food network programme for an important news bulletin

People, we have British passports. As I have mentioned before, we bought our plane tickets thinking we could fly on our US passports only to find having 2 nationalities meant twice the fun--2 passports required. It has been a headache and quite stressful as both myself and Spiderman are tighter than a clam named Scrooge when it comes to forking over money for stuff we don't think we should have to. I mean, who needs 2 when 1 will do, right?  But since the embassy told us to, we have followed orders. Then there was the stress of filling out forms by writing in all CAPITALS in tiny boxes which is a recipe for disaster with me. Then forking out more moo-la for professional photos as ours weren't good enough, apparently. The backgrounds were "too cream." Then my photo was rejected for wearing a hat and we had to appeal and send a letter explaining how the hat is for religious reasons and finally we had to have to big scary interview which happened to be in another town entirely and cost us £11.20 for the bus. Unbelievable.

But it was all worth it. When the envelopes came today I was shaking like a leaf in a hurricane. We were told that within 1 week we'd hear if we were approved and within 2 receive the passports (if we passed) so I was expecting just a letter. When I opened the rather bulky envelopes, what should fall out? A passport just for me (and another for my sweetie) plus an organ donor form--I suppose now that we can travel if we were met by some untimely accident on our journey at least our organs would be used for the greater good.

So hoorah and lashings of ginger beer and all that cliche rot. I am thankful and grateful and give the full credit to God who hurried it along despite the earlier bumps in the road. And just like in A Christmas Carol--"The Spirits have done it all in one night. They can do anything they like. Of course they can. Of course they can."
Now back to your regularly scheduled cooking programme!

1 comment: