Wednesday 12 December 2018

What We Ate Wednesday--Curry Spiced Roasted Chickpeas and Tomatoes with Kale

Hello lovelies! Last week I wrote about the epic vegan party where I came home with not one, not two but THREE punnets of cherry tomatoes.

The first meal I made was ROASTED TOMATOES WITH WHITE BEAN ALFREDO SAUCE.

The second meal I made was STICKY GARLIC ROASTED VEG.

But what to do with the third punnet? Well, I sat down and looked at what I had in stock and this is what I invented.

I had a punnet of tomatoes (obviously). I had chickpeas. I had an onion. I had kale. I had lemon juice. I had golden syrup.  I didn't actually have curry powder, but i did have some garam masala and some turmeric.

I decided to roast them again because roasting is easy, imparts a huge flavour boost and the prep is easy. Plus if I am roasting tomatoes i don't have to remove the squishy gooey jelly bits like I do when I eat them raw. Bonus.


Curry Spiced Roasted Chickpeas and Tomatoes with Kale
Preheat your oven to 200C/400F

For the roasting pan:
250g punnet cherry tomatoes, cut in half
1 tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 onion, finely chopped

For the pot:
100g kale (about 4 cups?) de-stemmed and torn into bits

Marinade:
1 TB olive oil
1 TB liquid sticky sweetener (I used golden syrup but use what you have)
1 TB lemon juice (bottled is fine)
3 to 4 cloves crushed garlic
2 tsp curry powder or 1.5 tsp garam masala and 1/2 tsp turmeric

1.In your big roasting pan combine the tomatoes, chickpeas and onion. Pour over the marinade and mix well to coat. I had to use my hands.
2. Make sure all your tomatoes are cut side up.
3. Roast for 25-30 minutes.
4. At about ten minutes before the roasted veg is done, saute your kale in a large pot with a splash of water until bright green and reduced--about 5 minutes.
5. Mix in the roasted curry veg with the kale and serve over brown rice.

This was ridiculously easy and the flavour was really punchy. We will definitely plan to eat this again as soon as someone gives me lots of punnet of cherry tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment