Wednesday 11 March 2020

What We Ate Wednesday--Apple Juice Lemonade

Hello lovelies! Okay. Let me just be honest. This is not really a recipe. Not really. it's a cheat. A shortcut.

I am not ashamed of this.

A while back my wise friend Sage (see what I did there?) asked me if we had a juicer. I said no. She told me that they used to juice a few apples and throw in a lemon to make a naturally sweetened lemonade that was refreshing to drink and made great ice lollies.

So I started thinking...could I just do this with apple juice and a lemon? Yes. Yes I could.

I love lemonade, but don't really want to make up a sugar syrup to add to lemon water. I love naturally sweet  cloudy apple juice, but often wish it was a little more tart. This just works!

Basically, I buy a litre of cloudy pressed apple juice and pour off 3/4 of a cup of juice. Then I either drink the juice or freeze in in an ice lolly mould. Then I add 3/4 cup lemon juice back into the container the juice is in filling the juice back up to the top.

Now you have apple juice lemonade! It's sweet! It's tart! It comes in its own container. Sure, a juicer where you juice your own would be infinitely better. but I don't have one. Adapt, adopt and improve is my motto.

Now, I don't have a photo because I am just storing mine in the apple juice container and I don't have any of those lovely tall glasses that would photograph well on a picnic table in the sunshine. I don't even have a picnic table, we live in Wales so sunshine is rare and all my drinkware consists of mix-matched chipped mugs.
Lemons are a very handy cure all
source
So to recap:
Apple Juice Lemonade

1 litre of really nice cloudy apple juice minus 3/4 cup---roughly 3 and 1/4 cup apple juice
3/4 cup lemon juice (about 3 fresh lemons--I cheated and used 2 fresh lemons and 1/4 cup bottled lemon juice)

Mix the apple juice and lemon together. Drink and feel amazing.

1 comment: