Tuesday 3 March 2020

Because I could not stop for Death

We are thrilled to share the newest addition to our art collection.

I came home from work one day last month and Spiderman was waiting impatiently for me.

"You HAVE to see this!"he cried and led me to our computer to look at the twitter page of artist Chris Mould. You might have seen some of Chris Mould's artwork in children's books. He is responsible for the illustrations in that gorgeous new version of Ted Hughes'The Iron Man. You can see his style of artwork here at his Etsy shop: ChrisMouldArtwork.

Anyway, I took one look and it took my breath away. It was so beautiful--something Victorian Gothic but full of symbolism.  Just the sort of things we love.  You might remember our DEATH AND THE MAIDEN that we bought from artist PJ Lynch.

Then Spiderman said "Look closely.  What Emily Dickinson poem is this?" I peered closer and started to hyperventilate and flap my hands. It was so obvious when you know Emily poems like I do.

Because I could not stop for Death –
He kindly stopped for me –
The Carriage held but just Ourselves –

And Immortality.

Now, if you know me at all (especially from my Louisiana College days) you will know I once was in a one woman show about Emily Dickinson called The Belle of Amherst. I was directed by a great New York director named Bill Pomerantz and Spiderman was my stage manager. So Emily D is a HUGE part of me.

So are you ready for the reveal?
He kindly signed it to H and T and we had asked if he would not mind writing out the quote on something small so we could frame them together and he really outdid himself. He drew this amazing drawing to go with it for free. Isn't that stunning??

We are hanging it in the bedroom with the other Gothic skeletons because that's how we roll.

Happiness is being able to buy art from real artist especially ones that come from literature. Thank you so much to artist Chris Mould!

1 comment: