Wednesday 18 March 2020

What We Ate Wednesday--Caramelised Onion Hummus

Hello lovelies! I make my own hummus most of the time as it is more cost effective and you don't have that tiny plastic tub to get rid of.

The one exception is caramelised onion flavour. I buy that from the shops and Eat. It. All.

I figured there was a way to make it at home and I was right. It made 3 big cups which we put one in the fridge and two in the freezer for later.

Hummus itself is quick and easy to make. But the onion bit is what takes long on this one. My suggestion is cook your onion while you are cooking your tea. It can be just just browning away while you are doing other things on the hob otherwise you have to stand over the stove cooking an onion for 30 minutes while wishing you were doing something else. Just sayin'.

I also used soft white haricot beans instead of chickpeas, but use whatever beans you like.


Caramelised Onion Hummus

1 large or 2 small white onions, finely diced
1/4 cup vegetable stock
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp marmite (or GF equivalent like Tesco brand--optional but gives it just a bit more umami taste)
2 tins of beans, drained and rinsed save the aquafaba liquid!(bean juice) 
6 TB lemon juice
1/4 cup tahini

1. Cook the onion in the 1/4 cup veg stock until softened. When the liquid has all been absorbed add the sugar and balsamic vinegar and cook until the onion starts to brown. Remove from heat.
2. Add everything but the aquafaba and blend like heck in a food processor until smooth. Add in the bean liquid a TB at a time until soft and creamy. I used about 1/4 cup.

This is a fat free hummus that I made without oil. Feel free to add 2 TB olive oil, but we honestly thought it was amazing without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment