Wednesday 1 April 2020

What We Ate Wednesday--Chickpea Curry Stew With Kale


Hello lovelies! Finding meals that we can eat under quarantine that are easy and made with ingredients we can find at our local supermarket can be tricky. I had everything for this recipe, so thought it would be a good one to try as it was fairy economical. The recipe is from the Forks Over Knives website and can be found {HERE}

This recipe is made creamy by some unsweetened plant-based milk. I used soya milk as that is what I had. Don’t use sweetened or vanilla milk, obviously. If I had a tin of coconut milk it would have been nice, but I didn’t. I thought a handful of raisins or a spoonful of mango chutney would have been a nice addition, but I didn’t have any. I used a red onion because that was all I could get at the shops. Use whatever kind of onion you can get. No kale? Use spinach or peas. Can’t get a fresh lemon? Bottled is fine. Save the other half of the tin of tomatoes by decanting it in a jar and using it within 24 hours or freezing it (I froze mine for a recipe later.)


Chickpea Curry Stew With Kale
1 (red) onion, finely chopped
1 potato, cut into ½-inch cubes (1 cup)
1.5 tablespoon curry powder
Dash cayenne pepper or chilli flakes
2 cups chopped kale, de-stemmed
1½ cups cooked chickpeas
1 cup unsweetened, unsweetened plant-based milk (I used soya milk)
½ of a tin of diced tomatoes (¾ cup), undrained
2 tablespoons lemon juice (bottled is fine)
½ teaspoon sea salt
1½ cups cooked brown rice, warmed

Instructions
1. In a large saucepan combine the first four ingredients (through cayenne) and ¼ cup water. Cook over medium 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. If it looks dry or potatoes don’t seem to be softening, add another splash of water.
2. Add kale, chickpeas, milk, and tomatoes. Cook about 10 minutes more or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
3. Add lemon juice and salt to taste. Serve over rice.

That's it. It was relatively easy to do and was quite tasty. I definitely might throw in a handful of raisins or a spoon of mango chutney the next time if I can get them at the shops. But it was good just like it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment