Wednesday 22 April 2020

What We Ate Wednesday--Copycat Samoas (Coconut Macaroons)

Hello lovelies! If you have followed me on on Facebook you know I had a maths mistake and over-ordered coconut (both wide chips and thin shreds) so I have been looking for ways to use it up and I found this recipe from EATING BIRD FOOD.

Oh my stars these are good. I saw the recipe and promptly went to the kitchen to make them. While they were chilling in the freezer to let the chocolate harden I had this conversation with the Amazing Spiderman:

Me: (bounding in the room like Tigger) Guess what I've just made???
SM: Something good based on the amount of chocolate around the corners of your mouth.
Me: Yeah, I was licking the bowl after afterwards. So anyway...what's your favourite Girl Scout Cookie?
SM: Well, you know I don't like to rank things and play favourites. But there are several that I recall liking quite a lot. Of course Thin Mints because you know I love chocolate mint and ---
Me: Let me rephrase. Why is MY favourite Girl Scout Cookie?
SM: That's easy. Samoas.
Me: Ta-da!!!

These are the real deal. They taste just like I remember Samoas tasting.  And they are only 4 ingredients!!!! They are easy to do. The recipe said you could just dip the bottoms in warm melted chocolate but I made a mess trying to dip so I just spread a bit of melted chocolate on the bottoms and let it harden in the freezer and then flipped them over and drizzled the remaining chocolate on the top for the finish.

First you have to toast the coconut. Eating Bird Food says to toast in the oven but this has been a recipe for a disaster for me so I use the toasting in a pan on the hob method that goes like this:

Me: (Shakes the pan) Hurry up. It's been ages. (Stirs the coconut) Come on...hurry up and toast. (shakes pan again) OH FOR FRITH'S SAKE WILL YOU....oh wait! Nevermind. it's toasted.


Copycat Samoas (Coconut Macaroons)

1 cup pitted soft squidgy dates
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/3 cup (50g)  dark chocolate (I broke up half a bar of chocolate, but if you have chips use those)
1/2 teaspoon coconut oil

1. Toast your coconut. Do it by the on the hob (stove top) in a pan method described above or the oven method described below. Either way, don't leave it unattended as it will go from yum to burnt in a matter of a minute. 

Pre-heat oven to 200C/400F. Spread the shredded coconut onto a baking sheet for toasting. Place in oven for 5-10 minutes, until coconut is a light golden brown colour. 

2. Add dates and toasted coconut into the bowl of a food processor and blitz until mixture is combined and starts to form a ball of dough.I had to add a TB of water to help it along. 

3. Roll 1 Tablespoon size pieces of dough into a ball and then shape into a round cookie. 

Optional for Samoa authenticity: 
Using a straw or chopstick punch a hole in the middle of the dough. Move the straw or chopstick around a bit to make the hole wider, if needed. Then reshape the cookie if needed. 
** I did it the first time and couldn't be arsed on the second batch. **

4. Place all cookies on a sheet lined with parchment and transfer to the freezer to harden up a bit. While cookies are in the freezer, melt your chocolate. Either add chocolate and coconut oil to a shallow microwave-safe bowl and melt in 20-30 second increments until the chocolate is melted enough to drizzle or do it on the hob in a bain marie like I did. Just put a bowl on top of  a pan with an inch of simmering  water (don't let the water touch the bowl) and let it melt. 

4. Get your cookies from the freezer and either dip each one in the chocolate to coat the bottom or spread a bit of chocolate on the bottom. Place back in the freezer for 10 minutes to harden up. 

5 Get your cookies from the freezer and use remaining chocolate to drizzle over top the cookies. Transfer cookies back into the freezer for 10-15 minutes to let the chocolate harden.  

6. Once all the chocolate is sold, then they can be stored in the fridge. They will supposedly last a week...but they did not last that long for us! 

Ohhhhh....these were so good. Nom nom nom with a side helping of nom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment