Wednesday 15 April 2020

What We Ate Wednesday--Coconut Lemon Energy Balls


Hello lovelies! Well Easter has come and gone and I wanted to make us something that felt spring-ish and light and bright but with stuff we already had or could get easily.

Cue Coconut Lemon Energy Balls. I found the recipe here at THE ENDLESS MEAL

If you have followed me on Facebook, then you know I had a maths error and ordered WAY too much coconut from our local zero waste shop The Green Scoop. So coconut I got.I got coconut coming out my ears. Not literally. That would be weird. 

 The recipe called for 1.5 cups of cashews which I don’t have, so I subbed oats and bit of almond meal. I used golden syrup for the sticky bit, but next time if I have enough, I might try dates. I happen to have scored a few fresh lemons this time from the supermarket, so was glad to use one (and its zest) but would also have used bottled lemon if fresh were not available. Just play with what you got, and I am sure it will be fine.

This was quite easy and made 18 lemony treats.



Coconut Lemon Energy Balls

1 1/2 cups raw cashews, (GF) oats, almond meal or some combination –I used 1 cup oats, ½ cup almond meal
1 cup shredded coconut
Zest from a lemon
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice or bottled if you can’t get fresh
1/4 cup sticky syrup—golden syrup, agave, rice syrup, maple syrup—whatever you have
2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
Optional: shredded coconut and poppy seeds, to garnish

Put your cashews/almonds/oats or whatever you are using plus your coconut in a food processor and blend until broken down into a fine crumbs. Add everything else except the optional garnish and blend until a sticky paste forms. Their recipe says to chill it before you roll into balls, but I didn’t. I just rolled ‘em up and then rolled them in coconut. Then I put them in the freezer on a plate to set. Then when they had firmed up, transferred them into a container and popped them in the fridge.

If I were making these with dates next time, I think I would leave out the coconut oil. I would also use about 1 heaping cup of packed, pitted dates. The soft and squidgy kind.

These made a lovely Easter treat. Bright and sunny tasting.

No comments:

Post a Comment